17 August 2010

Do You Know the Person Behind Your Avatar, Your Alter Ego?

I’d like to introduce the person behind my Garland and Grace avatar.  Think of it as a behind the scenes glimpse of the “About Me” description.  Over the past year and a half, I have had two of my very best friends move away.  These two friends, I have had since moving to Florida thirteen years ago.  Together, we have been through the births of our babies, celebrations, deaths in the family, job changes, job losses, financial crisis, Super Bowl Parties, holidays, and marital highs and lows.  You get the idea.  These friends are dependable for more than a good time on a “girl’s night out.”  They have been my sources of emotional growth, inspiration, stability, and spiritual encouragement.  When they moved away, I felt a part of myself go away with them.  I felt like I didn’t know who I was without them.  These past seventeen months have been a time of getting to know myself again.  What inspires me, what challenges me, what do I like and why do I like it?  These were questions I was asking myself on a daily basis.  It was so comfortable to be who I am with them, and it has been so uncomfortable to be alone with myself.  Don’t get me wrong, I love to spend time by myself.  I just didn’t like being alone trying to process daily life without the support of my friends.  As much as I hate to admit it, I needed this personal challenge in my life.  God knows that I needed to grow more as a person, and so did they.  I have done things this past year and a half that I would have never done if they were still living here.  This blog, for example, you wouldn’t be reading it.  My business, Garland and Grace, it wouldn’t exist.  Some of the friends I have made this year I would have never gotten to know.  I was comfortable where I was.  I would have missed out on a lot.  As far as the questions I have been wrestling with, I am still learning about myself.  If you read my blog you will be going on this journey with me.  I will share with you things that inspire and challenge me to be a better person.  I hope that I can inspire you to push your own boundaries.  Do you know the person behind your avatar?


The Girl Behind My Avitar
(I Usually Have Very Curly Hair)


A few quotes about challenges.

“Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” –Bernice Johnson Regan

“I do believe that when we face challenges in life that are far beyond our own power, it’s an opportunity to build on our faith and inner strength, and courage. I’ve learned that how we face challenges plays a big role in the outcome of them.” –Sashe Azeledo

“Be thankful for each new challenge because it will build strength and character.” –Unknown


Living Graciously,
Lisa